We are now looking for new Student Subcommittee members (February 2017)!
Please read on and phone Margaret Murray on 01 412 7928 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
Be ready to leave your name and number and Margaret will get back to you.
What is the NALA Student Subcommittee about?
NALA's Board gives responsibility to the NALA Student Subcommittee to gather and discuss adult literacy student issues and to feedback those issues to the Board. The Subcommittee is made up of fourteen students. At least one student is from NALA's Board, and is appointed by the Board.
Students on the Student Subcommittee must be individual members of NALA (free or have paid €25) and be a:
- Current adult literacy student - an adult who has gone back to education and is currently improving their literacy and or numeracy in a centre, on a programme, through distance education, or as an English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) student; or a
- Former adult literacy student who has an ongoing interest in promoting adult literacy issues.
The Student Subcommittee will suit you if you are prepared to:
o Attend seven meetings a year in NALA's Office in Ranelagh, Dublin 6.
o Identify and talk about adult literacy student issues from your experience and from talking to students locally or regionally.
o Reach agreement with others about student issues to be brought to NALA's Board.
The Subcommittee also helps in the organising of student days and helps to manage the Student Development Fund.
Members of the Subcommittee have also represented literacy issues on for example a National Consumer Agency panel, a focus groups run by An Post and as a Ministerial appointee to a Quality and Qualifications Ireland committee.
See the Terms of Reference for the Student Subcommittee and a Frequently Asked Questions documents below.
You will find these interesting if you think you might like to join.
The following people are on NALA's Student Subcommittee as of December 2016
Student or representative Where from Centre involved with (or previously linked to) or type of learner
1. Kevin O’Duffy (Chairperson) Athlone Previously Offaly adult learning centre
2. Olive Phelan (Vice-chair) Tallaght An Cosáin
3. Liz Corkish, Rathnew Bray adult learning centre
4. Lee Mitchell Greystones Bray adult learning centre
5. Michael Power Birr Previously Nenagh adult learning centre
6. Noel Phelan Kilkenny Wordaid
7. Billy Molloy Kilkenny Wordaid
8. Tony Moloney Co. Cork Youghal
9. Pearl Nolan Co. Cork Fermoy
10. Mary Ward Dublin DALC
11. Michael Duffy Killeshandra Cavan
NALA's Student and Membership Officer, Margaret Murray, writes minutes and attends meetings. A representative from the Adult Literacy Organiser's Association (ALOA), Maria Morgan from Drogheda, attends to advise and feeds back issues to the ALOA as agreed.
Key achievements of the Subcommittee are:
- Staffing a NALA stand at the yearly Ploughing Championships, raising awareness of literacy amongst the 200,000+ attendees.
- Consulting with the SOLAS implementation group on the importance of considering adults with literacy difficulties who use their service.
- Taking part in a project that produced a Manifesto of literacy learner rights called the ‘Voice of writing and reading learners in Europe’. This was presented to members of the European Parliament in September 2013.
- Taking part in a successful lobby to have a Learner Representative on the Education and Training Boards in 2014.