The Student Day in Galway is now booked out. If you have a question about booking please email Margaret Murray at email@example.com
Find more about the Student Day below.
The National Adult Literacy Agency (NALA) Student Day is for you, if you are an adult who is:
1. Improving your reading, writing, maths or digital skills in an adult literacy centre, or as part of another programme (for example a National Learning Network, in an adult literacy centre, or as part of another programme (for example a National Learning Network, Community Training Centre or Youthreach – where you are over 18 years old);
2. Learning over the phone with a NALA tutor or using the Learn with NALA website; or
3. Improving your English in an adult education centre, where English is not your first language (an ESOL student).
What will happen at the NALA Student Day?
You will meet other students, hear student speakers and go to two workshops – one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Hopefully you will learn something new.
Is there a cost to attend?
No, there is no cost to attend. NALA covers the cost for tea, coffee on arrival and a main course and tea and coffee at lunchtime.
Where is the Galmont Hotel?
The Galmont Hotel is in Galway city centre, near Eyre Square, a three minute walk from the train and bus stations in Galway. Unfortunately NALA cannot cover transport costs for students.
You need to book your place – so NALA can plan the day
Book online: Please book your place at the link below.
Book over the phone: Call Margaret Murray on 087 969 3696
Book by post or email: You can also register by filling in a booking form. Please email this form to firstname.lastname@example.org (or post it to: Margaret Murray, NALA, Sandford Lodge, Sandford Close, Ranelagh, Dublin 6).
* Please book your place as soon as you can, and no later than 12 pm on 19 April. NALA will then sort the workshops and give numbers to the hotel. Workshops will be filled on a first come first served basis.
* If you are booking a place for someone else and you don’t know which workshop to choose, leave that part of the form blank.
* Once you have booked, you just come along on the day.
A student only space
NALA student days are for students only. The only exception to this tutors facilitating a workshop or when NALA invites non-student speakers to the day.
You will be able to attend one workshop in the morning and a different one in the afternoon. Workshops are for an hour and a half. NALA will fill the workshops on a first come, first served, basis. The workshops are:
Creative writing – Bern Butler, creative writing facilitator
Bern will focus on poetry for beginners. She will share with you how to get started, keep going, develop a practice of writing and begin to send out pieces of work for publication.
Tips for living well – Maggie O’Sullivan Graham, life coach
Explore how to look after your mind and become more aware of your inner critic. Look after your body – sleep, food and comfort. Know habits that help and habits that don’t!
Being wise online – Sadie Hynes, digital literacy tutor
Get tips to help you think wisely when you are online or on your phone. Check if information you see online is true. Think is it the kind of information you want to share?
Energy in your home – Emer Cosgrove, environment and literacy tutor.
Find out about energy and ways you can make changes at home that are good for the climate and help you save money.
Meeting for ESOL students – Pascal Lally, ESOL tutor
Are there common Irish phrases that are confusing for you? Hear interesting facts about Ireland and meet students from different countries.
Find out more about what to expect in the NALA Student Day Programme and Agenda.
If you have any questions about the day, please don’t hesitate to telephone Margaret Murray, NALA on 087 969 3696 or email email@example.com