The Policy Officer is responsible for overseeing new projects that will improve adult literacy. The role will focus on health literacy and working with local government and other organisations to become more literacy-friendly.
Job Title: Policy Officer (Maternity leave cover)
Responsible to: Director of NALA
Key working relationships within NALA: Director and other staff in NALA
Status of post:1 year contract (Maternity Leave cover), starting 2 March 2015
The Policy Officer is responsible for strategising, building and overseeing new projects and developments that will improve adult literacy. The role is currently focusing on two areas:
- health literacy; and
- working with local government and other organisations to become more literacy-friendly.
- Monitor, review and evaluate the implementation of key policy areas
- Gather, interpret and analyse information
- Participate and lead, where appropriate, cross-service project groups and task forces set up to implement policy initiatives
- Participate and/or lead projects to assist NALA in meeting its aims and objectives relating to policy implementation
- Maintain contact, as appropriate, with partners and other external organisations
- Work effectively and collaboratively with all other stakeholders
- Attend meetings, events and conferences
Knowledge and understanding of the key issues affecting literacy within the context of adult education
Knowledge of the roll-out of national policy in health, unemployment and local government
Experience of project management (including budget management), evaluation techniques and report writing
All candidates should have:
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- a high level of motivation and initiative
- a keen interest in the policy process
- determination to explore issues thoroughly and the ability to think analytically
- good organisational skills
- ability to work well as part of a team
- ability to work flexible hours (mainly office-based) and to travel throughout Ireland and elsewhere at times demanded by the job
Location: Sandford Lodge, Sandford Close, Ranelagh, Dublin 6
Salary: Administrative Officer standard scale, Local Authority Salary scales ranging – €31,619 to €48,930.
Holiday Entitlement: 22 days each year
Hours of Work:
9.30 am – 5.00 pm Monday to Friday
35 hrs per week
If you wish to apply, please send your CV plus a covering letter, stating how you meet the specifications above, by email to Miriam Johnston at email@example.com
Closing date for receipt of applications – Friday, 2 January 2015.
Please include the names of two referees and state ‘Policy Officer’ in the subject line of your email.
All applications will be dealt with in the strictest confidence. Short-listing of applicants may apply.
The National Adult Literacy Agency does not require the assistance of recruitment agents at this time.