NALA 2020 Pre-budget submission
NALA has six recommendations to improve adult literacy, numeracy and digital skills.
1.Appoint a Junior Minister for lifelong learning and literacy.
2. Develop a creative, ambitious and aligned Whole-of-Government Strategy for literacy, numeracy and digital skills over the next 10 years.
3. Introduce a Plain Language Act to require government and public services to communicate in plain English that the public can understand and use.
4. All adults with literacy, numeracy and digital needs and or less than a Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) Level 4 qualification should have access to a high quality and relevant learning programme with a local education and training provider that meets the person’s literacy development needs.
5. Develop new and innovative ways to improve literacy such as:
blended and distance learning,family literacy, financial literacy, health literacy and media literacy programmes, bridging programmes to prepare people for other training, and
integrating literacy into vocational education and training programmes.
6. Introduce a targeted paid learning leave programme for employees in work with unmet literacy, numeracy and digital needs and or less than a QQ Level 4 qualification to develop these skills if they wish to do so.
- Literacy Policy