NALA 2020 Pre-budget submission
NALA has six recommendations to improve adult literacy, numeracy and digital skills.
- Appoint a Junior Minister for lifelong learning and literacy.
- Develop a creative, ambitious and aligned Whole-of-Government Strategy for literacy, numeracy and digital skills over the next 10 years.
- Introduce a Plain Language Act to require government and public services to communicate in plain English that the public can understand and use.
- All adults with literacy, numeracy and digital needs and or less than a Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) Level 4 qualification should have access to a high quality and relevant learning programme with a local education and training provider that meets the person’s literacy development needs.
- Develop new and innovative ways to improve literacy such as:
- blended and distance learning,
- family literacy, financial literacy, health literacy and media literacy programmes,
- bridging programmes to prepare people for other training, and
- integrating literacy into vocational education and training programmes.
- Introduce a targeted paid learning leave programme for employees in work with unmet literacy, numeracy and digital needs and or less than a QQ Level 4 qualification to develop these skills if they wish to do so.
- Literacy Policy